- Upcoming Events
- Surgical Options
- Hospitals & Centers
- CONTACT US
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding surgery is a purely restrictive surgical procedure in which the LAP-Band®, or Realize™ Band , an adjustable Silastic (silicone) band, is placed laparoscopically around the upper stomach to create a small pouch with a narrowed outlet. The gastric band restricts the top of the stomach so that it becomes full on a smaller amount of food, and empties more slowly thereby relieving hunger. Developed by a noted New Jersey physician, the procedure has been performed for over ten years and is widely utilized throughout US and the world since 2001.
Advantages of Gastric Banding Surgery
- Increased vitamin and mineral retention for patients
- No dumping or anemia
- No cutting or stapling of the stomach
- Faster recovery time than other types of Bariatric Outpatient Surgery (7-10 days)
- Can be adjusted in the office
- Reversible with restoration of the normal stomach anatomy
Risks and Disadvantages of Gastric Banding Surgery
- Risk of band slipping, leaking or eroding in the stomach
- Possible increase in Reflux Disease (heartburn)
- Slower weight loss than gastric bypass surgery
- Less extensive weight loss
Recent blog posts
- Dr. Oz encourages you to fight obesity with surgery!!!!
- What if you could prevent even one family from hearing the words “you have cancer”?
- Rockland and Bergen Wellness Night!
- Top Food News of 2011
- Handling Holiday Head Hunger
- Support Groups in New Jersey
- Poll Says Overweight Workers Miss Millions More Days of Work
- Support Shrinking Stella in her effort to raise money for Breast Cancer
- Insurance companies' attitude toward weight-loss surgery isn't sensible
- Educational Nutrition Seminar for Pre / Post Surgery in Montvale