- Upcoming Events
- Surgical Options
- Hospitals & Centers
- CONTACT US
The Day of Bariatric Surgery
Finally, the long-anticipated day of surgery is here and is an exciting end to a long wait. Many gastric bypass surgery and lap band surgery patients often refer to this day as their “birthday” because of the new chance at life they have received.
Preparing for the day of gastric bypass surgery and lap band surgery is like preparing for many other surgeries. Your surgeon will have specific instructions for you to follow including but not limited to:
- Beginning the evening before the day of surgery, do not drink or eat anything.
- Most medicines can be taken the day of surgery, just with small sips of water (however, your doctor will have instructions regarding specific medications).
- Bring all of your medications with you to the hospital.
- Bring your CPAP machine, if you have one, for use in the hospital.
- Prepare to arrive early as some hospitals and surgery centers require patients to be up to two hours early.
Once again, your surgeon will give you specific instructions, including information about your medications, to help you prepare you for surgery. If you have questions, do not be afraid to ask.
When you have arrived at the hospital or surgery center, you will undergo a few preoperative steps. You will change out of your clothes and will see your nurses, surgeon and anesthesiologist. An IV line will be administered to keep you hydrated and give you medications such as antibiotics. Once you have completed the preoperative process you will be taken to the operating room.
If you have not received anesthesia before you arrive in the operating room, you will receive it once there. Next, your surgeon will perform the operation. Gastric bypass surgery and lap band surgery are fairly short and take about 45 to 90 minutes.
After the surgery has been completed, your healthcare team will ensure your vital signs are stable and arrange for you to be taken to a recovery room.
Recent blog posts
- Dr. Oz encourages you to fight obesity with surgery!!!!
- What if you could prevent even one family from hearing the words “you have cancer”?
- Rockland and Bergen Wellness Night!
- Top Food News of 2011
- Handling Holiday Head Hunger
- Support Groups in New Jersey
- Poll Says Overweight Workers Miss Millions More Days of Work
- Support Shrinking Stella in her effort to raise money for Breast Cancer
- Insurance companies' attitude toward weight-loss surgery isn't sensible
- Educational Nutrition Seminar for Pre / Post Surgery in Montvale